Suffolk Construction questions subcontractor’s charge of not being paid
July 9, 2019
Suffolk Construction said Tuesday an electrical subcontractor on the $2.6 billion Encore Boston Harbor casino has failed to properly document work done to support claims of unpaid bills.
Linda Dorcena Forry, a vice president at Suffolk Construction, said Coghlin Electrical Contractors has been paid “approximately $69,650,000 to date for their work, and came to a settlement with them on the final group of their substantiated claims last week.”
Forry said Suffolk Construction had asked Coghlin to provide “supporting documentation for a majority of its remaining claims” tied to the Everett casino.
“Suffolk has treated Coghlin professionally and fairly throughout the duration of this project, including having taken the unusual step of providing millions of dollars in advance funding to help Coghlin meet its payroll obligations, assisting them with their cash flow needs, and providing staffing to help Coghlin execute their work on the project site. We hope to eventually reach a final and fair resolution with Coghlin,” said Forry.
Coghlin owner Sue Mailman said Tuesday change order requests are what both sides are now at odds over.
“Suffolk nor Wynn did not let Coghlin bill for additional work,” Mailman added. “Now that Suffolk has settled with Wynn and Wynn has the doors open, Coghlin is not being paid by Suffolk. Suffolk and Wynn knew to expect claims.”
The Herald first reported last month that there were complaints from subcontractors not being paid. A spokesperson for Attorney General Maura Healey’s office, in response to that article, said workers need to be paid in full and on time.
Massachusetts gambling regulators also know about the change order dispute, records show, with a spokeswoman adding “Suffolk Construction and Coghlin Electric continue discussions.”